Girl rips eyeball after wearing contacts for too long

Bonds

One young woman is warning others after a scary experience with her contact lenses.

Meabh McHugh-Hill is a 23-year-old grad student from Belfast, Ireland. Although she’s had contacts since she was 16, one poor mistake nearly cost her her sight and eye.

chilled sunday climbing mount errigal ☘ #kneehighinmuck

A photo posted by Meabh McHugh-Hill ? (@meabhmhh) on Aug 28, 2016 at 6:48am PDT

After wearing her contacts for 10 hours, which is over 2 hours the suggested time, Meabh realized the contact lense was stuck to her eye. After attempting to take the contact out, she ripped her cornea off — a whole layer of her eye.

“I ran upstairs to take them out and stupidly, in a rush, I just pinched my eye first like I normally would do to get the contact out. But I should have moistened them first – because this time my eye was so dry the contact had actually glued itself to my eyeball,” she said.

Doctors forced her to stay in bed for nearly a week in complete darkness: Light would exacerbate it. While Meabh never be able to wear lenses again, professionals say she’s lucky to still have her eye.

Now she’s warning others.

“I was so, so lucky. I could have lost my sight. I just didn’t realise how dangerous wearing contact lenses could be if your eyes are not moistened,” she said.

Scroll through to see the scary things your eyes say about your health:

Cataracts are cloudy eyes and are most common in older people. Many times they can be indications of tumors or diabetes. 

Up Next

See Gallery




More in lifestyle
Your mother was right about sitting up straight
The best foods to fight the flu explained
Salmonella may hold the key to targeting cancer cells

Leave a Reply