Australian man finds dead cockroach inside his M&M’s chocolate bar


A man from Australia was left appalled and disgusted after discovering a dead cockroach in his MM’s bar.

Kyle Rosewarne made the gruesome find inside of his confectionery treat after he had already eaten four squares of the crispy mint chocolate bar on Monday.

RELATED: Get to know your future food source, edible bugs

Would you ever eat bugs? While the thought of consuming creepy-crawlies might make your stomach turn, entomophagy – eating insects – is a regular part of the diet for 80 percent of the world’s population. Bugs are a healthy and environmentally friendly source of protein, and it’s hard to ignore the growing edible-insect movement in America. To help you get to know your possible future meal, feast your eyes on these eight edible bugs.

Image Credit: Getty Images


Mealworms are beetles at the larval stage. According to Abigale Miller, the blogger behind Abigale’s Edibles, toasted mealworms can taste like “roasted nuts or seeds” and taste good “covered in chocolate or sprinkled on soup”. For those of us who are squeamish about seeing these wriggly creatures on our plates, entomologist Florence Dunkel at the University of Montana recommends grinding freeze-dried mealworms into a powder to use in your cooking and baking.

Image Credit: Flickr/colinbrown


Whole spiders are a common treat in Cambodia and a source of pride for Skuon, located just north of Phnom Pen. This small town is becoming known for its extreme cuisine, and tourists make the trek to sample fried tarantulas. According to one visitor, who describes in detail how a tarantula tastes segment by segment, the legs taste “crunchy” with little flesh, the head and body’s delicate white meat resembles a “cross between chicken and cod”, and the globular abdomen is “full of dark brown paste” containing unsettling spider bits. The abdomen’s “gooey nuttiness” followed by a “musty, somewhat rude finish” is an acquired taste.

Image Credit: Flickr/Paul Mannix

Up Next

See Gallery

After failing to get a response from the renowned candy corporation, Mars Chocolate Australia, Rosewarne took to Facebook shortly after to vent his anger.

“When I opened the packet yesterday I found an added extra,” Rosewarne wrote in the online post.”To my absolute disgust, there was a dead cockroach inside.”


After his warning began to pick up steam online, Rosewarne told the Daily Mail that the brand reached out to him to compensate for his poor experience.

He said he received a “standard corporate” apology and peace offering.

“They offered me a $20-30 Coles or Woolworths voucher, which I declined,” he said, adding, “It’s not only a health problem, it is a serious ecological concern as well.”

A spokesman for the company told the publication that it immediately contacted Rosewarne to request the product and has been working with an entomologist to determine the insect’s species and origin.

The company’s review concluded that the insect did not enter the packaging prior to being shipped from the manufacturing facility, as this particular species does not occur in the region where the product was manufactured.

SEE ALSO: Woman finds a diamond in her boiled egg

“Given each block of chocolate we manufacture undergoes 31 quality checks and safety tests, and microbiological testing before it is packaged and shipped,” the spokesman continued, “it is extremely likely it entered the product packaging after it was opened.”

However, Rosewarne disagrees with the company’s claims.

He asked: “If it went in after I ate the initial four pieces then when I went to have more, don’t you think it would have crawled out as soon as I picked it up?”

He plans to visit the Health Department for more advice on the matter.

Leave a Reply