Palace: Britain’s Prince Philip, 95, to cease royal duties in autumn

Prince Philip, the 95-year-old husband of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth, will retire from carrying out royal engagements later this year, Buckingham Palace announced on Thursday.

The prince, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh who has been by his wife’s side throughout her 65 years on the throne, had decided he would cease public duties from autumn, the palace said in a statement.

“Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen,” the statement said.

LONDON, ENGLAND – SPETEMBER 6: (FILE PHOTO) Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince William, Earl Spencer, Prince Harry and Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales follow the coffin of Diana, Princess of Wales this in September 6, 1997 file photo in London, England. The funeral took place seven days after she was killed in an automobile accident in Paris. Members of the royal family walked in the procession behind the coffin, as did 500 representatives of the charities associated with the Princess. At least a million people lined the streets of central London to watch the procession from Kensington Palace to Westminster Abbey. (Photo by Anwar Hussein/Getty Images)

A royal family visit to a museum in Sandringham, where the children climb on a fire engine, January 1988. From left to right Prince Charles, Princess Diana, Queen Elizabeth, Peter Philips, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Harry, wearing a blue coat, Zara Phillips and Prince William. (Photo by Jayne Fincher/Princess Diana Archive/Getty Images)

This official photograph released by Buckingham Palace to mark her 90th birthday shows Britain’s Queen Elizabeth with her husband, Prince Philip, and was taken at Windsor Castle, in Windsor, Britain just after Easter 2016. Annie Leibovitz/Handout via Reuters – THIS IMAGE MAY BE USED FREE OF CHARGE, INTERNATIONALLY, FOR 14 DAYS FROM RELEASE, UNTIL FRIDAY, JUNE 24, 2016. AFTER THIS DATE, FOR USE OR REPRODUCTION IN ANY FORMAT ON ANY PLATFORM, PLEASE REFER TO ROYAL COMMUNICATIONS FOR APPROVAL. NO COMMERCIAL OR BOOK SALES. NO SALES. NO ARCHIVES. FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS. TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

Up Next

See Gallery




“Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.”

The queen, the world’s longest-reigning living monarch who celebrated her 91st birthday in April, will continue to carry out a full program of official engagements, it added.

The announcement was made following a meeting of senior royal staff at Buckingham Palace, news of which prompted speculation about the health of the royals.

However a well-placed source said there was no cause for concern about the welfare of the queen or Philip, who turns 96 next month.

The couple, who are due to celebrate their platinum, or 70th, wedding anniversary in November have been cutting their workload in recent years, passing on many responsibilities to son and heir Prince Charles, and grandsons, Princes William and Harry.

Both carried out official duties on Wednesday, with Elizabeth meeting Prime Minister Theresa May to formally agree to the dissolution of parliament ahead of June’s election while Philip opened a new stand at Lord’s Cricket Ground in central London.

(Editing by Stephen Addison)

This official photograph released by Buckingham Palace to mark her 90th birthday shows Britain’s Queen Elizabeth with her husband, Prince Philip, and was taken at Windsor Castle, in Windsor, Britain just after Easter 2016. Annie Leibovitz/Handout via Reuters – THIS IMAGE MAY BE USED FREE OF CHARGE, INTERNATIONALLY, FOR 14 DAYS FROM RELEASE, UNTIL FRIDAY, JUNE 24, 2016. AFTER THIS DATE, FOR USE OR REPRODUCTION IN ANY FORMAT ON ANY PLATFORM, PLEASE REFER TO ROYAL COMMUNICATIONS FOR APPROVAL. NO COMMERCIAL OR BOOK SALES. NO SALES. NO ARCHIVES. FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS. TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

Up Next

See Gallery




Article source: https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2017/05/04/palace-britains-prince-philip-95-to-cease-royal-duties-in-au/22068775/

Leave a Reply

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Bunk Beds