It’s officially summer, which means the days of “Ugh, there’s nothing good in theaters” are over. (Until, like, mid-August.)
June 2019 is stacked with prime date night options, from comedies to action flicks. While Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and the like boast some new online content, the best big-budget features of the summer deserve to be seen on the big screen. Here are a a few worth your hard-earned cash.
1. “Late Night,” starring Mindy Kaling and Emma Thompson, in theaters June 7
AOL caught a screening of Mindy Kaling’s buzzy new comedy at Sundance and it instantly snagged a spot in our top 10 list for the year. Funny, upbeat and revealing, it’ll appeal to just about any type of moviegoer.
2. “Men In Black: International,” starring Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson, in theaters June 14
You were obsessed with the original franchise as a kid, and the new installment does the legacy justice. It’s a satisfactory fix for your post-“Avengers” cravings.
3. “Toy Story 4,” starring Tom Hanks, Tim Allen and more, in theaters June 21
We all know this isn’t just for the kids. Joan Cusack, Tony Hale and Keanu Reeves are among the stellar ensemble cast voicing the beloved toys in Pixar’s newest flick.
4. “Yesterday,” starring Lily James and Himesh Patel, in theaters June 28
One of the most talked-about films of this year’s Tribeca Film Festival, this film is a must-see for Beatles fans — or, strangely enough, people who have no real awareness of the Beatles at all.
5. “Ophelia,” starring Daisy Ridley and Naomi Watts, in theaters June 28
Looking for a bit more romance? A dose of Shakespeare should do the trick.