- The United States Women’s National Team got off to another hot start at the Women’s World Cup on Friday.
- Megan Rapinoe scored off a free kick just 5 minutes into the match, giving the Americans an early 1-0 lead.
- On Twitter, fans quickly turned Rapinoe’s iconic goal celebration into a meme.
- The Americans would hold on to win the match 2-1 and advance to the semifinal.
- Follow all of our Women’s World Cup coverage here.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
The United States Women’s National Team got off to another hot start at the Women’s World Cup on Friday, scoring the opening goal of their quarterfinal against France just 5 minutes into the match.
After forward Alex Morgan was taken down with a tough tackle just outside the box, the Americans were awarded a free kick, which Megan Rapinoe struck with confidence into the back of the net.
While the goal itself was beautiful, it was Rapinoe’s celebration that captured the attention of fans on Twitter.
In the second half, Rapinoe added another fabulous goal, giving the Americans a 2-0 lead.
France would get a goal back late in the match, but thanks to an impressive performance by goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher and the United States defense, the Americans would hold on to win 2-1.
With the win, Rapinoe and company advance to the semifinal on July 2 against England, just two wins away from repeating as World Cup champions.
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta: