The Latest: Berdych through to Australian Open quarterfinals

World News

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — The latest from the Australian Open on Sunday (all times local):

8:15 p.m.

Tomas Berdych has outlasted Roberto Bautista Agut in five sets to reach the quarterfinals at Melbourne Park for the sixth consecutive year.

The sixth-seeded Berdych only converted four of 22 break-point opportunities against his Spanish opponent, finally prevailing 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 in three hours, 18 minutes.

Berdych reached the semifinals at the Australian Open last year before losing to Murray. His next opponent will be the winner of the match between Roger Federer and David Goffin being played later Sunday.

___

7:40 p.m.

An error-riddled Novak Djokovic has advanced to the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam tournament for the 27th consecutive time, persevering over a dogged and determined Gilles Simon 6-3, 6-7 (1), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 in a 4-hour, 32-minute match at Melbourne Park.

Djokovic advanced to the final eight and a match Tuesday against Kei Nishikori despite making a whopping 100 unforced errors, including four backhand drop shots into the net as he attempted, unsuccessfully, to get Simon to move up from his anchored position on the baseline.

The five-time champion Djokovic and the pesky Simon played plenty of long rallies — the longest of which was 37 strokes. Simon frustrated Djokovic with his defensive play, saving all 11 break-point opportunities in the second set before dominating the tiebreaker.

Overall, Simon saved 19 of 25 break points.

___

5 p.m.

Nigel Sears, the coach of Ana Ivanovic and father-in-law of Andy Murray, is expected to be released from a Melbourne hospital later Sunday, a day after he collapsed in Rod Laver Arena during Ivanovic’s third-round match.

The Australian Open released a statement from Sears in which he says he’s been “cleared to fly back home to the U.K. in the next day or so.”

Ivanovic’s match against Madison Keys was halted for about an hour on Saturday night while medics attended to Sears in the stands. He was carried out of the arena on a stretcher and taken to a hospital.

Ivanovic had just won the first set when the match was stopped, but Keys came back to win in three sets.

Murray was playing at the same time at Margaret Court Arena, and after he finished his match, he rushed to the hospital to check on Sears, who is the father of his wife, Kim.

Murray’s wife, Kim, is due to give birth to their first child next month.

___

4:40 p.m.

Now, Lleyton Hewitt’s career as a professional tennis player really has ended.

The 34-year-old Australian player had announced he would retire after this year’s Australian Open. A center court ceremony was held for him Thursday night after he lost his second-round singles match to David Ferrer.

The next day he was back in action in doubles with countryman Sam Groth.

On Sunday, the Australian duo lost their third-round doubles match to Jack Sock and Vasek Pospisil, 6-4, 6-2. Hewitt walked off the court and into retirement to a standing ovation in the 7,500-seat Margaret Court Arena

The match was interrupted for 20 minutes during the second set due to a medical issue in the stands that required medics to enter the arena.

It was the third time this tournament that matches have been interrupted due to medical situations in the stands.

___

3:35 p.m.

Nick Kyrgios won’t be sanctioned by tournament officials for answering his phone on court before a mixed doubles match at the Australian Open because the call was taken before the pre-match meeting.

Kyrgios answered the mobile phone call, which he said was from a friend, before a match he and his girlfriend, Ajla Tomljanovic, lost in straight sets to the No.1-ranked team of Ivan Dodig and Sania Mirza on Saturday.

Under the ATP Tour policy “a player is not allowed to use any electronic devices (e.g. C.D. players, mobile phones, etc.) during matches, unless approved by the supervisor.”

Leave a Reply