You probably already know that Heart disease and Cancer are two leading causes of death. But, did you know that keeping one in check can help to prevent the other from occurring? The American Heart Association is telling us that a new study suggests that people who follow the American Heart Association’s “Life’s Simple 7″ steps to lower their risk of heart disease could very well be getting the added bonus of preventing cancer.
- Be active: It’s recommended that adults get at least 30 minutes of moderate activity a day – like brisk walking – five times a week. This, alone, has been instrumental in lowering the risk of heart disease, diabetes and stroke in those who followed this regimen.
- Keep your weight at a healthy level: Too much fat – especially around the waist – raises the risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. It amazes me how many overweight people take medications for high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes, often for all three. Losing weight might give you the added bonus of being able to kick the meds.
- Eat a healthy diet: The American Heart Association recommends eating a diet low in saturated and trans fats, cholesterol and added sugars and high in whole grain fiber, lean proteins and colorful fruits and vegetables.
- Maintain healthy cholesterol levels: Too much “bad” cholesterol (LDL) can cause plaque to form in veins and arteries, greatly increasing the risk of heart attacks and stroke.
- Keep your blood pressure down: High blood pressure (hypertension) is the single most significant risk factor for heart disease.
- Regulate blood sugar levels: Diabetes can cause blood sugar to rise to dangerous levels which, over time, can damage the heart, kidneys and nerves.
- Don’t smoke: The AHA says that smoking cigarettes damages the entire circulatory system, greatly increasing risk for coronary heart disease, hardened arteries, aneurysm and blood clots. I personally know how difficult it is to quit this nasty habit, but 25 years later, I don’t regret it one bit.
Why am I discussing this on a life insurance website? It’s simple – I know that anyone who follows these 7 steps will most probably lead a longer life. By doing so, you might be preventing two major diseases from occurring. Insurance companies know this too, so they reward those who keep their weight down, their cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure in check and who don’t smoke cigarettes. You can compare life insurance rates on our website and see the difference these factors make in the rates.