One month ago, in a White House meeting, President Trump said he would “proudly” own a government shutdown for his ineffective, wasteful border wall.
Well… six recent polls show that Americans agree that he is to blame.
Six surveys taken since the partial government closure began last month tell a consistent story – half or more Americans believe Trump and his party are responsible for the shutdown.
Holding the president responsible marks a reversal in polling from previous shutdowns, and it’s raising pressure on Senate Republicans, some of whom have begun calling for Trump to relent and re-open the government while Congress debates funding for border security.
Here are the recent survey results:
- A Quinnipiac University poll taken Jan. 9-13 found that 56 percent of Americans blame Trump and Republicans for the shutdown, while 36 percent fault Democrats.
- A Washington Post/ABC poll taken Jan. 8-11 found that 53 percent say Trump and congressional Republicans are to blame, while 29 percent point the finger at Democrats.
- A CNN poll taken Jan. 10-11 showed that 55 percent blame Trump and Republicans, while 32 percent blame Democrats.
- A CBS/YouGov survey taken Jan. 9-11 said 47 percent blame Trump, 3 percent blame Republicans, and 30 percent blame Democrats.
- A Reuters/Ipsos poll taken January 1-7 found that 51 percent blame Trump, 7 percent blame Republicans and 32 percent fault Democrats.
- A Politico/Morning Consult poll from Jan. 4-6 found that 47 percent blame Trump, 5 percent blame Republicans and 33 percent blame Democrats.
On Day 24 of the government shutdown, approximately 800,000 federal workers are going without a paycheck – yet President Trump and Republicans in Congress continue to hold the American people hostage.
In the face of the GOP’s bitter obstruction, Democrats are taking further action to reopen government, passing individual Senate Republican appropriations bills to re-open all government agencies.
President Trump and Republicans in Congress should listen to the American people, stop holding their health, safety and paychecks hostage, and re-open government immediately.